Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Visual Design

Being creative is no joke. It's not an easy task to pull something out of nothing. The blank space is often daunting and you feel pressure for a moment about what exactly you're supposed to do with it.

To erase this fear I realized I needed to get back to basics, so I looked up a book that proved to be quite helpful in removing doubt or fear whence drawing in the past, this book is "Drawing on The Right Side of the Brain" by betty Edwards. I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to learn about drawing from observation, it's worth any 6 credit university drawing course out there.

However another point of interest is composition and balance, for that I happily stumbled upon a book called "Visual Design: A Problem-Solving Approach" by Lillian Garrett. Hopefully this will help me make the kind of art that jumps out at you and makes you want a poster or print of it. Ha! If onlyyyy...

On the other hand, you know that millesecond before falling asleep? That's the only time when all of this crap is irrelevant and I master symphonies in my head and get all of the concept material I need for a lifetime. Sometimes I remember them, often I don't. Is there a term for that state? Right in between awake and asleep? Conscious and unconscious? Objective and subjective? Feet in the ground, head in the clouds?







No comments:

Post a Comment